Tanner's Running Around

Tanner got talked into trying a new sport this year... Cross Country track.  And he really enjoyed it!

The season started as soon as school let out and his team unofficially had a running club.  They had milestones with different tiers of prizes.  Tanner ended up just hitting 200 miles of running during the summer and earned a bag, water bottle, and shirt.  Another 100 would have earned him an awesome jacket. 

To prep for the season, Tanner participated in the Wolverine Canyon 5K.  He set a great time for that race and enjoyed running it with his friends.

I am learning there's more to track than just showing up and running.  I am learning a whole new set of lingo, such as melts and PR.

The melts are exercises the team does to warm up before the race begins:


I am learning how to watch a Cross Country race, starting with the starting line and then running in a zig zag pattern to watch my boy cross various points of the course.

I am watching and listening to the other parents to know what to yell at Tanner as he passes, like "Push through the Pain!" and "Now is the time to kick in the burners!"

And I'm learning to give my boy a little space after he runs so that he doesn't vomit on me.  Apparently, that is a common thing after a long race.

Some courses are nicer than others...


And there is always such a huge feeling of pride when they cross through that giant inflatable.

This year, Tanner's team took 1st place in districts and got to go to state!


Because Tanner is still considered JV he did not get to participate in the state meet, but rode along to cheer on his team mates. 
This kid of mine is already making personal goals to run varsity next year and join his team at state.  I have fallen in love with this sport for Tanner.  I love how it gives him confidence.  I love the set of friends he has made on his team.  I love the coaching staff who are so positive and encouraging and buoy this kid up.  And I love how it has made Tanner push himself to set goals and push a little harder every time.  Can't wait to see Tanner continue on this path.




Comments