Christmas is about Loving

I always learn so much from my kids.  Sitting through church one Sunday in December, Whitlee asked me if she could draw pictures.  One of her favorite games is drawing a "Bake Shop".  We each take turns drawing a dessert that we would sell in our imaginary bakery and she LOVES it.  It is all she ever wants to draw.  However, sometimes I get sick of drawing desserts.  So on this particular Sunday, I said, "Hey, it's close to Christmas, what if we draw Christmas things instead and we can take turns drawing a Christmas thing."  Whitlee started by drawing a Christmas tree.  So, when it was my turn I added presents under the tree.  Then I was sitting there trying to think what I could draw next that would go with a Christmas tree and presents... maybe a fireplace with stockings... Santa?  And then Whitlee handed me the notepad.  She had drawn a little girl with her arms spread wide open like the above picture of Christ.  Whitlee said, "I drew a girl that wants to give a hug, because Christmas is about loving others, right mom?"  I felt like a complete idiot!!  I was sitting there in church half listening to talks about my Savior, Jesus Christ and the fact that he loved each and every one of us so much that he was willing to come to this mortal existence, perform the atonement, and die for us, and I was drawing pictures of gifts and Santa Claus while my 4 year old daughter was busy reining me back in and focusing me on what Christmas was really about.... LOVE.

It is always a wonderful experience to be taught by my children.  They are so close to their Heavenly Father and I feel so privileged that he would share them with me.  I hope I can do my best to show my Savior my gratitude for his sacrifice by sharing love with others, not just at Christmastime but all year round.

Comments