Ian's Baptism

Once Ian turned eight, he became eligible for baptism into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He has looked forward to this day for many years.  It wasn't even a question for him whether or not he would choose to be baptized.  Ian has a strong testimony of his Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  He is determined to choose the right and make good decisions.  The week before his baptism, I kept trying to tempt Ian to sin.  I would say, "Come on, let's go get some good sins in before you get baptized.  You are going to be washed clean then, might as well get good and dirty before you get in the water."  I even went so far as to propose some very good ideas for ways in which he could sin.  Rather than think about it for even a split second, he would reply with a loud, "No!!!  I will not sin.  That is not what I am supposed to do."  Seriously, he didn't even contemplate those very tempting sins for even a second.  My greatest wish for this boy is that he will view sin with this kind of power to say No! in the face of sin throughout his whole life.

Ian with his dad and Grandpa Jim before the baptism:





The family with Grandma and Grandpa Powell, and Grandma and Grandpa Martineau

Thoughts on my baptism day by Ian:

"When I got in the water, it was warm. It made my clothes stick to me.  It took forever to get dressed, then I got confirmed by my dad and uncles.  The we went home and ate and played."

Our very next door neighbor also turned eight, two days before Ian, and the two were able to share their special day together, which was beyond wonderful.  We love our neighbor friends and every day they are becoming more like family to us.  After the boys were baptized, Zac gave a talk on the Holy Ghost.  He compared the Holy Ghost to a compass.  He told the boys that hiking through the forest can be very fun, but if they ever find themselves wandering off the path and can't find their way back, then they can use a compass to know which way they should go.  He gave each boy a compass to have and told them to use the Holy Ghost as a companion in their lives to always stay on the right path.

Ian was supported by many family members and friends on his special day and we were able to have a lovely BBQ afterwards.  It was a very enjoyable and special day.

Comments