A Writing Milestone

Today I hit 10,000 words on my novel! In case you are wondering what that looks like, it is 22 pages on Microsoft Word, and about 44 pages in a novel. It is 1/5 of my goal of 50,000 words by April 2010. My goal has been to write 1,000 words a week and so far I have hit it every week except one, and I am slowly making up for the missed week.

I have to admit that this is so much harder than I thought it would be! First of all, I sit down at the computer to write, but then there is always e-mail to check, and blogs to read, and facebook entries that need commented on, and before I know it, I have blown an hour! Just getting myself to focus on writing has been a huge challenge. Zac makes fun of me, but the best way for me to get into writing mode is to put on some glasses that have no lenses (because I don't really need them, but feel like they make me smarter).

I have a general outline and some basic ideas of events that need to transpire in my book, but all of the "he said, she said" and in between stuff is so hard! And it is even harder to know how to say what a character is thinking while describing what they are wearing and what their bedroom looks like.

For now, I am focusing mainly on just getting this complicated story out of my head, then I will sit on it for awhile and then try to make it flow more eloquently. Even if it never goes anywhere, I will feel so proud when this story is out of my head and printed on paper.

The fun part of all of this is that I feel like I am being told this story, rather than writing it. I will call Zac up and tell him, "You will never guess what happened in the novel today!" I am constantly surprised by the life my characters are taking on all on their own. And I have to give props to my totally supportive husband for taking such interest and giving me such great ideas. What a great guy. Maybe I will start "really" listening to him when he tells me about work.

Comments

Tiffany said…
I can't wait to read the new Lori Fillmore novel. Good luck!
Way to go Lori!! I can't imagine what it would be like to have the deadline's that you've set for yourself....let alone the thoughts of writing a novel. But I love to read novels so I can't wait to read it!