Back to School x 3

I sure had a pretty quiet day around here!  Well, at least the afternoon was quiet anyways.  It was the first day of school.  The twins started 3rd grade and Ian started Kindergarten.  It seems that Ian has been counting down to school ever since he was two, bawling when the twins got on the Kindergarten bus because he couldn't go too.  These past months I have been riddled with questions about how many more months, weeks, days, and finally hours and minutes until Kindergarten.  We got to go meet Ian's teacher last week and I can already tell that this is going to be a totally different experience for me than with the twins.  Where they are quiet and very anxious to obey every classroom rule, we had to pull Ian off of another little boy, whom he was wrestling in order to meet his teacher.  He is very talkative and excited.  He is very smart and can hardly contain himself when he thinks he knows the answers.  I am very excited for him!


Charlotte on the other hand had a very traumatic morning.  When we packed lunches and backpacks for the twins and she wanted to know where her lunchbox and her backpack were.  Then when the twins got on the bus without her, she bawled and howled.  But all was well soon enough because she still had big brother Ian, so when we dropped him off at Kindergarten and she didn't get to go too, I had to drag her kicking and screaming from the school.  Fortunately, when we got home from dropping Ian off it was nap time for Charlotte and Bronson and for the first time in a LONG time I had a quiet 2 hours to myself!  So, yeah, you can imagine that I took one heck of a nap, which pretty much hasn't happened since Bronson was born!



The twins are starting at a new school this year.  In this district all of the K, 1st, and 2nd graders go to one school, 3rd and 4th at another, then 5&6, 7&8 at the junior high and the rest at the high school.  I was disappointed that they wouldn't be there at school with Ian watching out for him and making sure he got home.  I am also a little sad because the 3rd and 4th grade school is clear across town from us, and figuring out the bus stops is a little tricky, but it is a new school and looks enticing.  They were a little nervous this morning as they have different classes and are on opposite ends of the school, but I don't doubt that they will be the best possible students in each of their classes and make friends super fast.


When they got home, they were a little disoriented and frustrated because the bus dropped them off at a different stop then they thought and they weren't quite sure how to get home from there.  Fortunately, a kind neighbor was there and helped them find the way home.  Ashlyn was excited because a boy from her class in Rigby had also moved to Shelley and had coincidentally ben put in her class at this new school!  What are the odds?  Tanner knew several kids and found some friends from last year at recess.  They both came home chattering away about how nice their teachers are and about the fun things they did.  Hooray!


His shirt says, "Stop the Madness, Homework Kills Trees".

The hardest part of everything is the knowledge that we will be pulling them up by the roots once again and moving them into the school district close to our new home in November. Hopefully, they will someday forgive us for all this moving around.


Ian's First Day of school in his own words:  "My teacher came outside and showed us where to go.  We stopped and got a drink, there were water fountains there.  Then we went in the classroom and sat on the rug.  We did Humpty Dumpty sat on a Wall.  Then we colored a wall, but we didn't color Humpty Dumpty.  We got to sit wherever we wanted to at the tables.  I sat by a boy this way and a girl that way.  Then we sat at the carpet and then my teacher talked about havin' snack time.  We had fishy crackers, no drink, just fishy crackers, but they did have a water fountain in there, but they didn't have any cups.  We played toys in class.  I liked the toy that you put two on there and they both turn around.  My teacher has a little bell and when she rings it, it means that play time is over.  Next, we lined up and went to recess.  I played on the slide.  I went down that thing with round stuff that is red.  I asked my teacher if she would lift me on the zip line, but she said her back hurt.  A bell rang two times and then it was time to go back to class.  I think after that we talked about homework, but I don't remember very well.  Then it was time to go and there was these letters that were the ABC's and they had them on the road too.  I got on spot H, I remembered because my bus tag said so.  The first bus stop was my bus stop.  Mom was waiting there for me and I walked home with her.  My first day of school was happy!"

Ian came home with a darling little Humpty Dumpty puppet and used it to recite the poem "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall."  I will never forget Ian's first day of Kindergarten, because he had been feeling sick all morning and rallied his energy so that he could go.  He refused to miss.  Poor boy came home and crashed!  I love this little stud muffin and can't wait to see how he likes school this year.

Comments

Kris said…
Can't believe these kids are growing up so fast! They all look so cute for their first day of school. Glad it all turned out well and the twins found their way home!
Leia said…
It sounds like they all had a great first day! I can't believe how descriptive Ian was about his day at school. My kids can never seem to remember anything about their school day...