An Embarrasing Story with a Moral

As a Young Woman in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, every Sunday from the time I was 12-18, I would stand and repeat the Young Women's theme.  Part of that theme states, "We will stand as witnesses of God at all times, and in all things, and in all places."

Well, I had a lapse and I got caught.

When I was at one of my last OB/GYN appointments I knew I would be waiting for the doctor to come in to the room for a while while I was stripped from the waist down... to kill the time I decided to take a magazine in with me.  Usually, I will choose a Better Homes and Gardens, Good House Keeping, Family Fun, or if I want the doctor to think I'm smart, Time or Newsweek.  This time, I grabbed the trashy tabloid.  I usually don't care about celebs and their interesting lifestyles, but the cover grabbed my attention when it talked about Brad and Angelina expecting their 6th baby.  With me on my 5th, I wanted to know just how the Pitt-Jolies did it, so I grabbed the mag.

I know it isn't a "sin" but it isn't usually the kind of reading material I want to be associated with either, especially because other content in the magazine wasn't entirely wholesome... so when the doctor knocked on the door, I chucked my magazine upside down onto the chair next to me, hoping he wouldn't see what I was reading.  MISTAKE-- when the doctor came in, his eyes were immediately drawn to the advertisement on the back of the magazine, a lady standing in a risque bra and underwear and high heels.  He grabbed it up and said, "Whoa! What are you reading?"  Then exclaimed, "You used to have to secretly search through your mom's JC Penney catalogues to see women in their underwear."  At this time the nurse walked in not knowing what the doctor was commenting on... and me wrapped in a sheet from the waist down just had to reply, "Yeah, now you just have to become an OB/GYN!"  The nurses face was hysterical, and then the doctor had to show her the magazine and the rest of the visit was a conversation on the decline of morals all because of a magazine that I had chosen to read for 10 minutes at the doctors office.

Lesson learned, there is no good place to read a trashy tabloid... and guess what, the Pitt-Jolies have lots of nannies and household servants and that is how they handle 6 children.

Comments