Baking with Scouts and Never Eat a Scout Cake

Recently, our ward had a Blue and Gold banquet and the scouts were asked to bake and decorate a cake for dessert.  In case you are like me and didn't grow up with brothers (boy did I miss out on this scouting stuff!), a Blue and Gold banquet is a dinner to celebrate the anniversary of when scouting began in the United States.

This is Tanner's last few months as a Cub Scout, and I can't believe how much he has grown and how much he has learned.  This year I turned him loose on his cake all by himself.  He read the directions on the box mix and baked the cake entirely by himself.  I only helped him flour the pan.  And then he decorated entirely by himself.  I did insist on washing and sanitizing his toy trucks and I also tinted the green frosting.  Everything else... all Tanner.




What a great cake and what a great kid.

Can't wait for Ian to join ranks in May when he turns 8.

Also- just a word of advice, if you are at a scout banquet where the scouts prepared some of the food, stick to the food you saw prepared.  I sampled one of the other scout's cakes and found something very chewy, flavorful in a bad way, and all together undesirable.  I really thought I was going to be sick.  Fortunately for me, it turned me off cake for a long time.

Comments