No News is Good News

I officially quit my job with the Jefferson Star today.  It seemed like such a good deal when I started.  Originally, when I saw the advertisement for a corespondent, I sent my resume in that night and by 8 am the next morning, I had the job.  It seemed like it was Heaven sent just for me.  A writing job that would look good on a resume, I could do it from home, and I could make a little extra money (little money, being a key word there).  I had read the local scenes columns and usually they go something like this:
(these are actual news items from the Garfield Local Scenes column by Norma Rounds)
"Lova Sievers went to Rock Springs, Wyo., last week."
"Garfield First Ward youth Tuesday night spend the evening tying three quilts."
"A birthday party was given for Preston Hawkins ninth birthday Monday."
"Sandy Johnson is recovering from knee replacement surgery."
"Blayne and Carolyn Rounds, of Preston, Ned and Jolene Hill, of Wyoming, and Luke Rounds, of Logan, have been visiting Roy and Norma Rounds." (notice that the author of the column IS Norma Rounds)

What usually happens, is the local scenes corespondent goes to church with a notepad and writes down whatever happened to anyone in the ward that week and they they go home type it up and blamo... that's the week's column.  But I just couldn't do that!  I could not post all of the week's gossip from my neighbors and ward members.  I was sure that no one would speak to me again. 
To compensate, I contacted as many different groups and religions all over Rigby and asked for their announcements and upcoming activities.  For the past two months, I have filled a page every week with very diverse information, representing many groups.  I was told by the Lutherans that I am "Manna from Heaven" and the Presbyterians invited us to their kid's activities to come and take pictures and hang out.  However, to gather everything it would take me 6+ hours a week.  The pay is as follows: $0.60/ per inch of newsprint and $3.00 per picture (one picture per week), unless it was a photo that I didn't take then it paid $1.00/ photo.  I was averaging $3/hour or less and spending way too much time sticking Ian in front of the TV for no real benefit to our family, other than a line on my resume for the possibility that "some day" I will need a resume.  Plus, I feel like the editor of my column just did not feel like I was getting the personal stories which is apparently what they like, and every Monday morning I would get a call telling me everything wrong with my article for the week.  I was taking it way to personally and starting to feel miserable.  So I quit.  It was a hard decision.  I always consider myself someone who is tough-skinned and someone who sticks things out to the end.  I like to think that in any tough situation, a lesson can be learned.  So my moral of the story through all of this is:  It is okay to be a quitter, especially if it is for the greater good of the family.

Here is what a typical article from me looked like.  It came out every Wednesday.  My last article will go out a week from today. (Sorry it is cut off, my scanner isn't very big) 
So much for my Lois Lane fantasy...at least I'm still married to Super Man!

Comments

Oh I'm sorry Lori!! I know you were so excited about it. But I totally understand how work can get in the way of family and kids. Good for you for figuring that out earlier than later. Maybe something else will come up that works better for you and your family!!
Oh I'm sorry Lori!! I know you were so excited about it. But I totally understand how work can get in the way of family and kids. Good for you for figuring that out earlier than later. Maybe something else will come up that works better for you and your family!!