The Curse of the Super Bowl

The kids decked out in Steeler's garb.  Tanner has been a Steeler two years in a row in flag football, so we couldn't help but cheer for them.  Char is that moving blur at the bottom.  This is how most of my pictures look like of her lately!
I was SO looking forward to the Super Bowl this year.  You see, Zac was recently called to serve in the Stake Young Men's presidency, which has left us fatherless a lot lately on Sundays.  And this year on Super Bowl Sunday it was going to require him being away at a fireside, so I thought at least we can go over and hang with the family and I won't have to cook dinner and the kids will be entertained.  But there was no escaping the Super Bowl curse...

You see every year since we moved to Idaho and actually lived close enough to family and friends that throw Super Bowl parties, we have always had someone too sick and contagious to go.  It has happened at least 3-4 years in a row!  I thought we could dodge it this year, but then stomach flu hit and not just any stomach flu, but a stomach flu so menacing that it strikes hard for 24 hours until you think you will die, then it goes away (or so you think) and returns a day or two later and lasts for up to two more days!  Maybe it is a sign that we shouldn't be watching sports on Sunday? 

When my sister-in-law Nichole called me Sunday morning for a recipe for some Super Bowl snacks, I couldn't help but whine to her about my predicament.  Then we went about our day lounging in our pajammas and feeling sorry for ourselves.  At 4 o'clock that evening the door bell rang and Nichole's girls were standing on my door step with goodies, snacks, crafts, coloring pages, and puzzles.  I could not believe how incredibly thoughtful and generous the Fillmore's had been to us.  It totally made the rest of our night.  The kids were entertained the whole night with their goody package.  And it made me feel so happy after a bad week of yuckiness.  Someday when I grow up I want to be just like my awesome sister-in-law!  In my book she was this year's Super Bowl MVP.

Comments

Holly said…
LOVE that! (not that you were sick) but your sweet SIL! That is CRAZY that you have been sick like that the last 4 years. Dang it, and we missed you at the game night too! :(
Goody Family said…
AND . . . who schedules a fireside on the night of the Super Bowl!?!?!