Bronson and I have Different Dads

The other day I got a phone call from my dad.  I love my dad and love talking to him on the phone.  While I was talking to him, Bronson thought I was talking to his dad.  I ended my conversation with my dad by saying something to the effect of "I love you Dad."  To which Bronson came quickly running, wanting to talk to his dad.  I explained to him, that it wasn't his dad, but my dad, Grandpa Bob and to my surprise, he started to cry and was very upset.  I had no idea what I had done wrong.  In talking to him, he was upset that we didn't have the same dad.  He kept telling me, "Why can't dad be your dad too.  You love him.  He is your husband.  You belong to him!"  And though all those things are true, I told him that Grandpa Bob is still my dad and I love him too.  Bronson loves his Grandpa, but he still just doesn't quite get it and we have had weeks of conversations with me trying to convince him that I love his dad and that I am not replacing him.

I took a video of Bronson after one such conversation, because though it is so heartbreaking, it is also very sweet.  He really loves his dad.

Comments