Pumpkin Palooza '10

I am starting to wonder if I am a competitive person? Every year, Zac and I can't just simply sit down and carve a jack-o-lantern. Oh no, it has to be a full blown competition. AND we cannot use store bought or downloaded patterns. The jack-o-lantern has to be out of our own heads and has to have never been created before to the best of our knowledge. I start wracking my brains about Christmas time to come up with next years creation. This is what we came up with this year. Feel free to vote if you would like. The winner gets bragging rights until next Halloween (unless I win, and then there is a monetary prize along with back tickles, and a chore free day while Zac does my chores for me!)


Zac's amazing buck. He is so artistic, can I really compete? He likes to employ the shaving method rather than carving. He borrowed some antlers from my dad.

And here is mine... before you judge me for being lame, first find the humor in my carving "a pumpkin". Secondly, my original idea was a "stained glass pumpkin" I tried to melt both plastic and jolly ranchers in the pieces that I carved out. Both ended in utter failure and turned my pumpkin into a squash by the next day, BUT it's the creativity that counts and I will try my method again in the future until it is perfected.

Our little pumpkin!

Props to Ashlyn for thinking outside the box this year. She decided to do a spider web, which is a huge step in creativity for her as this is the first year she thought of something other than a face. The design is hers and Zac helped her carve it.

Ian's and Tanner's Jack-o-lanterns. Ian's is the top one and I drew 3 different eyes, 3 different noses, and 3 different mouths and then he circled which ones he wanted. Tanner drew his design all by himself and came up with the idea of carving a ghost on one side and a spider web on the other (you can't see them from this angle). I am so proud my kids are starting to be so creative. I can't wait until they can compete with us!

Comments

Goody Family said…
Hmmm, you might win the baking contest, but Zac killed you this year in the jack-o-lantern contest. So sorry.
USA said…
I'm so glad somebody loves carving pumpkins. Taylor and I both dislike it so much, we don't even give the kids other options than the easy, breezy patterns! It's fun to see ALL of your creativeness that you came up with. Way to go Fillmores! (Congrats on your news coverage too! Good luck with it all!!)
Becky said…
Those pumpkins are awesome! Congrats on the top 10 in the Nestle contest. You are amazing!
carol said…
Lori! I love your guys' pumpkins. What talent! We always have the standard jack-o-lanterns at our house, we might have to try something different.
And you are welcome to use teh "Matt-ward" picture. I asked him and he told me I would just have to deal with it if he got super famous off of it. :) The cookies were so fun, we hope you win!