Grandma Flamm

We lost my Grandma Flamm last Friday February 26, just one week shy of her 89th birthday. Though I miss her very much, I am so happy that she can finally have peace from the pain that she has felt for the past while. I am also thrilled to imagine the reunion that she must have had with her husband who passed away 17 years ago, as well as with all of her brothers, sisters, parents and other loved ones that have passed before her.

The things that I will always cherish and remember about my grandma, were her ability to always make me feel so welcome in her home. She invited us often for sleepovers, then would let us pick out a pair of her own pajammas to wear (usually silkie ones) and then would make us popcorn, play aggravation with us, and take us for a trip to Pizza Hut or Wendys. One fond memory I have is when I was 4 or 5 years old, she took me to her house on my birthday and made me a pink cake that the round layers that got progressively smaller and then added pink sprinkles. I thought it was the fanciest cake ever.

When it was Fall, she always got such joy out of raking the leaves with us and throwing us into the piles. She was there for every Christmas, Birthday, Graduation, Wedding, and baby blessing as long as her health permitted. I spent many nights in her home when I was at college and she so graciously offered her washing machine to me. I really enjoyed my talks with her during this time as I waited for my laundry to finish. I even remember one time when I was at college and she made a huge pan of pumpkin rolls just for me and my roommates and brought them to my apartment.

My kids loved visiting their Grandma Flamm at Lincoln Court and then at Turtle and Crane. And just like me when I was little, they would get her Lincoln Logs out and play for hours putting together log cabins, which Grandma got a kick out of. We loved our visits with her and hearing the many stories that she shared with us.

We will definately miss her, but she will always be in our memories and in our hearts. I feel very fortunate to have had her for so long and for the opportunity that my children had to get to know their Great Grandma. I love you Grandma.

Comments

Kris said…
She was a wonderful, kind lady. Growing up in her ward I can still hear her calling me "Kristine". I always thought a lot of her and your grandpa. Mom wants to go to the funeral too so we'll be there if you want us to keep Ian during the family prayer or even the funeral so you can relax and enjoy it. See you Thursday!
I'm sorry for your loss...She's sounds like an awesome lady. Reminds me of my Grandma and the feelings that I have for her, I can only imagine how much you'll miss her.
Tay Pam Smith said…
I remember going to visit a couple times in college...even the funeral home! Hope today was alright for your family. Take care.