Charlotte Fillmore, Author Extraordinaire

This girl here just won the PBS Kids Go Writer's Contest in the Kindergarten division.
Charlotte loves to snuggle in with her dad at night and tell him stories.  She started making up these stories about two sisters named Thomas (yup, Thomas is a girl) and Ellie.  She tells us all about their adventures.  When she saw that PBS was having a writer's/ illustrators contest, she knew immediately what story she would enter.  I tried to convince her that she should rename her Thomas character to a more "girlish" name.  She refused and I'm glad she did because I think that the names are what gives the story that extra something special.  I have wondered where on earth she came up with the names of her characters and realized after she entered the contest that we have a 10-year old neighbor friend named, Ellie Thomas... I am just that smart that it took me that long to figure out where she got the names.

Her award ceremony was last Saturday and she got to receive a prize package, which included some darling books, toys, and color changing cup.  She also got to read her story to an audience and eat a piece of a cake with her name on it.  This girl was on cloud 9!





And the cherry on top was having the Blackfoot Morning News contact us to interview Charlotte and run a story about her winning the contest.  I really didn't anticipate that they were going to put Me, Bronson, and Ian in there too.  You gotta love Bronson's face.

She was front page news in front of Ted Cruz dropping out of the Presidential race!
Her story had a limit of 200-words, so it is pretty short, but it packs a powerful message:

Thomas Rides the Bus
By Charlotte Geraldine Fillmore
Once there lived two little girls who were sisters.  One was named Thomas and the other was named Ellie.  Once Thomas wouldn’t go on the bus, because she said, “All of the girls and boys on the bus are mean to me.”  She told her mom, “Could you drop me off at school today?”  Her mom said, “I can’t drive you to school today, because I will run out of gas.”  Thomas said, “Then I will fly to school on a unicorn.”  Her mom said, “I would worry about you flying so high in the air.”  Thomas said, “Then I will ride a trolley to school today.”  Her mom said, “All of the trolleys are out today, but you can ride the bus trolley.”  Thomas said, “Then I will ride on a broomstick to school.”  Her mom said, “I need our broomstick today to sweep the floor.”  And then Ellie said, “You can sit by me on the bus today.  I will be your friend.”  Ellie holds Thomas’s hand and they get on the bus together.  Thomas smiles at the boys and girls because she feels happy and she loves her sister.  The boys and girls smile back at Thomas.

So proud of this girl and her imagination and drive!

Comments