Tumble Bug


We have always wondered if Charlotte was switched at birth, not only because of that yellow white cavewoman hair and those monstrously huge blue eyes, but because of her insistence that she "hates" basketball and she wants to be a cheerleader.  How could anyone hate basketball?  Since we weren't paying for a formal preschool this year, I was worried that this social girl might languish alone at home with just Bronson, Whitlee, and me, so we indulged her whims and signed her up for gymnastics.  And guess what?  She loved every minute of it and so did Bronson, Whitlee, and me.  I loved watching her in her element.  I loved seeing her learn and grow and become more coordinated.  I loved watching her excitement as she became the teacher at nights and tried to teach her big brothers and sisters the things she was learning.
She had her Spring Review in April and then it was over.  Just like that.  I had a hard time coping.  I asked her teacher about summer programs and about how to sign up for the Fall.  Charlotte, on the other hand said she was good with being done.  She feels fulfillment.  She can close that chapter on her life.  I, on the other hand, am struggling.  I had anticipated switching gears and saying goodbye to the scorching hot nights of tee-ball games where there are no rules and chaos reins.  I was ready for a change and I thought gymnastics was going to be her thing.  But for now she is good and I am not going to push it.  We will see how she feels in the Fall.  She may change her mind... or she may just realize that she loved basketball all along and now she has the coordination she needs to dunk the ball by the time she reaches high school.  A mother can dream.

We recorded her gymnastics routine, and unfortunately it is stuck in limbo on Zac's cell phone.  Hopefully, someday I can get it off and post it here, because it really was adorable.




Comments