Bad Kitty!

Tuesday night was about as exciting as it comes around here.  I was away from home at our church helping the young women in our ward with an activity.  About 30 minutes into the activity, Zac called me from home and told me that I better get home quick.  He was pretty sure Ashlyn needed stitches.  I busted it home as fast as I could to find this sad face...
Apparently, Ashlyn was holding her cat, Mittens, and was showing her to some little girls.  Unfortunately, their pet dog also wanted to get a good look at Mittens and she responded by rearranging Ashlyn's face in her attempt to flee.  And though there wasn't copious amounts of blood, we didn't want her to look like she had a cleft palate for the rest of her life, so we decided we better head into the ER for stitches.

Why is it that when kids are sick or hurt it is always on a weekend, holiday, or after closing hours for their regular doctor's office?

I am proud to say that she was very tough.  The doctor had to put in 5 very carefully placed stitches and Ashlyn didn't even cry a tear.  The doctor complimented her on her bravery.

The next day we headed into Wal-Mart to pick up some antibiotics for her cat scratch fever and we saw this shirt.  In hindsight I wish I just bought her the dang shirt, but I was being a cheapskate at the time, having just bought a load of groceries.   It was pretty funny.  I went back to get it for her later and it was gone :(

As sad as the whole thing was, I realized just how very blessed we have been.  We were telling the doctor stitching her up that this is only the second kid in our family to have stitches and the first occurrence happened 9 years ago and was also a minor lip wound.  They were also trying to explain to her how the shot to numb her would feel and she couldn't relate to how a bee sting feels or a shot for cavities because she hasn't had either.  The doctor then told us about his little girl who is about Ashlyn's age and was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 2.  Man, I feel blessed and hopefully Ashlyn taking one for the team will keep us healthy and emergency free for a bit longer.

Comments