Christmas Lesson Courtesy of Ian

My 5-year old, Ian, never ceases to amaze me with his strong little spirit.  Not a day goes by that he doesn't bring me the scriptures, wanting to know what happens next.  And it is not surprising to hear him say little gems like, "Mom, when I grow up, I want to be a servant of the Lord."   His prayers could move mountains they are so full of faith.  It is no surprise that I am constantly learning from this kid.
As part of our Christmas season celebrations this year, I got out my gospel art picture kit.  I got out all of the pictures from the New Testament and instructed the kids to each pick out one or two pictures of Christ and then we would read the stories together and learn about the life of the Savior.
This is the picture Ian picked:


The other kids had selected pictures from the birth of Christ, or pictures from his ministry.  I asked Ian, "Buddy, are you sure you want this picture?  It is such a sad story.  Wouldn't you rather pick one that is happier?"  to which Ian replied, "But Mom, this is a happy picture.  Jesus died for us so that we can live again!" 
Wow. 
All of this just happened to coincide with the timing of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut, so his answer caught me a little off guard and made me a little emotional.  I can't think of a better Christmas present for those families that lost their loved ones than the gift of Eternal Life and the chance to be with their loved ones again.  In my effort to give a "gift" to Christ this Christmas by focusing my family on the Savior, I was reminded that He gave me the best gift of all and for that I am eternally grateful.
As another part of our "Gifts to Christ", we have been studying the prophecies about the birth and death of Jesus Christ by Samuel the Lamanite.  After this experience with Ian, I thought it would be appropriate to share these scripture passages given by Samuel:
Helaman 14:15-17
15 For behold, he surely must die that asalvation may come; yea, it behooveth him and becometh expedient that he bdieth, to bring to pass the cresurrection of the dead, that thereby men may be brought into the dpresence of the Lord.
16 Yea, behold, this death bringeth to pass the aresurrection, and bredeemeth all mankind from the first death—that spiritual death; for all mankind, by the cfall of Adam being dcut off from the presence of the Lord, are considered as edead, both as to things temporal and to things spiritual.
17 But behold, the resurrection of Christ aredeemeth mankind, yea, even all mankind, and bringeth them back into the presence of the Lord.
With that I leave you my testimony that Jesus Christ truly did live and die for us.  Through him, we can be forgiven of our sins and overcome death.  If we choose to accept his gift, we can live with our families eternally and come forth in the resurrection.  I wish you all a wonderful holiday season filled with the Spirit of the Lord.
Click HERE to watch my children act out the prophecies of Samuel the Lamanite.

And  HERE to listen to Ian singing With Wondering Awe in his adorable 5-year old voice.




Comments

Annie Bingham said…
Love your movies. We were inspired by you and acted out Samuel at our house too. Thank you. I am impressed Ian knows all the words to that song, it's not one of the better known ones for kids; he's got a great singing voice, maybe he'll be like his dad.